Tuesday 28 August 2018

Tar Heel Reader - Easy to Read books


I was introduced to this website at a conference: Tar Heel Reader. The best news is that access to the website is completely free! Who doesn't love free resources.  I would suggest pre-reading the selection of books you would like your students to access. 
  https://tarheelreader.org/ 

You have to email for a registration code if you would like to be able to write a book.

You can access books written in a variety of languages. I chose French books and found that I would have to be fluent in French to ensure the pronouns were correct before allowing students to read the text. However I was thinking I could publish my own books. I could see using this for social stories!
Excerpt taken from website: "Tar Heel Reader, a collection of free, easy-to-read, and accessible books on a wide range of topics. Each book can be speech enabled and accessed using multiple interfaces, including touch screens, the IntelliKeys with custom overlays, and 1 to 3 switches. Click here to learn more about alternative access methods."
"You may write your own books using pictures from the huge collection at Flickr or pictures you upload. All books should be complete, edited, and revised to the best of your ability before publishing them to the site. While you are working on them, please save them as drafts."
Here is a sample page from the book "Busses"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.