Sunday 28 September 2014

Math Continuum


I was looking for a math continuum so that I could pin point where each student needs to start their math journey. When we (teachers) complete diagnostic assessment for Reading in Primary we use PM Benchmarks. If a student is at an Instructional level 21 we start their learning journey at level 21 through guided reading. My question is how does that transfer to math. Teachers perform diagnostic assessments to see where their students are academically. Based on that data the teacher can see who needs to review past expectations to solidify their learning. My goal is to pinpoint each students starting point in math as I would for reading. Which lead me to my search for a math continuum online. I was able to find what I was looking for from TDSB and Halton. These boards have created a chart for the specific expectations across a grade continuum.

Halton math continuum

How does this transfer to IEP's?

Often when I read a students IEP their math goals align with the classroom long range plans. For example if the class is working on multiplication of single digit by two digit numbers the IEP goal may read student will multiply single digit by single digit numbers up to 5x10.

The problem?
I want to pose the question is this goal the best goal for the student. If we look at the math continuum and this student still needs to solidify their learning of number sequences using multiples of 2, 3, and 4 should the students goal be multiplication or rather the next step in their personal math learning continuum???


While searching I also found:

The Peel District School Board has a website called Math Online

http://mathonline.peelschools.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.