Friday 28 November 2014

Communication is the Key

The other day I was teaching my LD class what the word irony meant in the following question:

It was ironic that his father died in a car accident going to get ice cream after dinner since he flew a fighter jet plane for the US military.

We had a long discussion and the students were able to use the word ironic in connection to their own life. Do you know what I thought about when I reflected on the word "ironic?"

It is ironic how little I know about the "happenings" in my school board with the numerous ways (twitter, facebook, blogging, websites etc.) we have to communicate programs, events and activities we offer for students!

The hardest part is that I don't think the issue has a simple response. I will give you an example. I sit on a committee in my board that plans a conference for at risk students in grades 7-12 across the school board. This is the 8th year we have offered the conference. Last year although we had the largest attendance of 395 bodies I still believe that there are administrators and teachers that have never even heard of the conference or know the purpose and goal for the program. We already have a website, send out emails and tweets but it doesn't seem to be enough!

That is only one example but in my new role as VP I have come across many other examples as I talk to staff and families.



Community resources and supports is another area I find we need to have better communication!

This lack of communication in a connected community has become a hot topic of discussion between myself and my principal.

Recently I attended the OPC Conference, "Technology-Enabled Teaching and Learning Institute." George Couros was the key note speaker and showed the following you tube video which in my eyes summarized the thoughts that have been swirling around in my mind for the past month!






We have reflected on the following:
How do we get better at communicating what we have to offer!
How do parents know what there child is doing in school when they don't bring home work?
How do we showcase the leaders/learners in our board?

I would love to hear from anyone out there that can tell me what your board does to communicate!

Please comment/share or ask questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.